The annual short story contest for Mid-South writers will be held again this year. The winning story will earn a $1,000 grand prize and will be published in a future issue of Memphis. Two honorable mention awards of $500 each will be given if the quality of entries warrants. Below are contest rules:
- Authors must live within 150 miles of Memphis, TN
- Entries must be postmarked by August 1, 2010
- You may submit more than one story but each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee.
- Each story should be typed, double-spaced, with unstapled, numbered pages. Stories should be between 3,000 and 4,500 words long.
- Stories are not required to have a Memphis or Southern theme.
- With each story should be a cover letter that gives us your name, address, phone number, and the title of your story. Please do NOT put your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
- Manuscripts may be previously published as long as previous publication was not in a national magazine with over 20,000 circulation or in a regional publication within Shelby County.
- Manuscripts should be sent to FICTION CONTEST, c/o Memphis magazine, PO Box 1738, Memphis TN 38101. We cannot accept faxes or emails. Authors wishing their manuscripts returned must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with each entry. Winners will be contacted in mid-to-late September.